Cultured Dilly Carrots
We have been fermenting veggies for many years now. This fermented dilly carrot recipe is one of our old-time favourites (from Lisa’s Counter Culture). It is well liked by children and has become a staple fermented veggie in our fridges. Perfect for school lunches.
- 2 garlic cloves
- 5 peppercorns
- 1⁄4 teas celery seeds
- 1⁄2 teas mustard seeds
- 2 tabs of fresh dill roughly chopped Approx.
- 1kg of organic carrots 20gms sea salt
- 500ml of filtered water
- Dissolve salt in water.
- Place dill & seasonings into base of jar. Peel carrots and cut into sticks about 6-7cm long. Pack into jar standing up, making a couple of layers, but leaving top level of carrots below shoulder of jar.
- Pour salty brine over carrots until about 1-2cm covering top of carrots but ensuring that water is about 1-2cm clear of top of jar.
- Wrap tea towel around jar & leave on counter to ferment for about 4-5days out of direct light.
- If you have access to a Grapevine leaf or a Raspberry Leaf, adding one to your jar of carrots will help to maintain crispiness of carrots. Helpful but not essential.