Bethy’s Poached Turkey
Turkey for Xmas? Turkey for easter? Turkey anytime? Why not?
Fortunately we have a friend that supplies us with home grown free-range turkeys in exchange for other goods. It always seems like a task to tackle a huge bird like that….deboning, and making stock. This is my favourite recipe for the breast. Marinated turkey breast is great to prepare ahead and have on hand as a cold meat in the fridge for days. A great alternative to dealing with hot ovens and roasted turkey on Xmas day.
- Turkey Breast Poaching
- Turkey breast (what ever size you can get) with or without skin/bone
- 1 large onion
- 2-3 carrots chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp whole black pepper
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 6 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 3 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup of olive oil
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup currants (can use raisins or cranberries or combination)
- 4 tabs capers
- 2 Tbs fresh mint leaves shredded and 2/3 cup chopped activated macadamias (or 2 Tbs
- Cover breast with water & poaching ingredients above, & bring to boil. Barely simmer for 1hr
- 15 mins (depending on size of breast). Cool 30 mins. Drain, Discard veggies/herbs. Slice
- thinly and arrange in casserole or baking dish.
- Whisk juice, vinegar, salt & Pepper to taste. Add oil & whisk. Stir in remaining ingredients
- (except nuts and mint).
- Pour dressing over turkey & marinate for 2 hours (in fridge).
- Garnish with nuts and mint before serving.
- Lovely served over thin slices of roasted sweet potato and potato to soak up dressing.