Real Food Bounty Bars
I don’t eat refined sugar….but if I had to say what “was” my favourite all time chocolate bar, without hesitation it ‘was’ a Bounty bar! I have always been a lover of anything coconut, but not mad about large amounts of chocolate. For me the Bounty was the perfect combination of coconut with a little bit of chocolate. I set out to make this and discovered lots of recipes on the internet. The common thread was of course coconut, but also condensed milk (argh) and in some cases icing sugar as well! Yuk! Why would I bother making my own if they were still a refined sugar bomb? Then I remembered Quirky Cooking’s homemade, dairy free, refined sugar free condensed milk. Yes!
- 1 quantity of Quirky Cooking’s Dairy Free Condensed milk (it makes about 2 ½ cups)
- 4 cups of organic desiccated coconut
- 330gms of Loving Earth Coconut Mylk Chocolate (sweetened with
- coconut sugar)
- Mix condensed milk with coconut and allow to cool enough in fridge so it is thick and easy to mould but don’t let it set too hard.
- Mould into small bars or squares.
- Place on baking tray lined with baker paper.
- Place in freezer for about 20 minutes until firm.
- Chop chocolate in thermo.
- Melt at 70C for about 5 minutes on speed 4 (you can do this in a double boiler).
- Pour melted chocolate into loaf pan.
- Take bars from freezer and roll in melted chocolate.
- Place on Baking tray lined with paper (not a cake cooling rack as pictured here) and place in fridge or freezer to set.
- Once set remove from cooling racks with egg flip and place in container in fridge.
- I prefer to eat mine at room temperature with a soft centre.